[Tutor] encode unicode strings from pysqlite

Dinesh B Vadhia dineshbvadhia at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 14 14:10:56 CEST 2008

Hi! Kent.  The row[0].encode('utf-8') works perfectly within a standalone program.  But didn't work within webpy until I realized that maybe webpy is storing the row as a dictionary (which it does) and that you have to get the string by the key (ie. 'fieldB').  That worked and also webpy encodes the unicode string at the same time.  Here are the details:

# standard Python: testDB.py
con = sqlite3.connect("testDB.db")
cur = con.cursor()
query = "SELECT fieldB FROM testDB
            WHERE fieldB LIKE '%s'
            LIMIT '%s'" %(q, limit)
for row in cur.execute(query):            # row is a list
        print row[0].encode('utf-8')        # works perfectly!

# webpy: testDB2.py
web.config.db_parameters = dict(dbn='sqlite', db="testDB.db")
for row in web.select('testDB',
        what='fieldB',
        where='fieldB LIKE $q',
        limit=limit,
        vars={'q':q}):
        r = row['fieldB']                    # get encode'd unicode through dict key value
        print r                                   # works perfectly!