[Tutor] socket / over network

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Apr 3 17:44:34 CEST 2008

"Nathan McBride" <nomb85 at comcast.net> wrote

Hi Nathan,

Please don't reply to an existing message to start a new discussion.
It messes up those of us using threaded mail/news readers and
increases the likelihood that your message will be missed.

> I'm pretty tired of the lame backup solution we have at work.
> Could anyone point me to a (more or less newbieish) example of how
> have python open a socket on one box and get data from it, then have
> another
> box write to it over the network?

For a very simple example of using a socket you could try the
Network Programming topic in my tutorial.

There is also a HowTo or Topic guide on the Python web site
that gives a more detailed example.

That having been said, backups are usually best done using
OS tools or if you must roll your own then using ftp or similar
as a file transfer mechanism rather than trying to send a
bytestream over a socket. ftp can handle broken connections
etc more easily. Detecting and fixing errors over a socket
stream is non trivial and for backups is pretty much essential!!

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site