[Tutor] Is there any logic in this?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sun Sep 2 00:17:10 CEST 2007

"jim stockford" <jim at well.com> wrote

>    your example is interesting, but reading right to left
> doesn't work well, which bothers me.

It works OK if you treat the entire right hand side as an
expression that evaluates to a value which is bound to
the name on the left.

In the list cae the sort method works in-place so the
list object never changes.

In the integer case two integers get added together
to make a new integer. The new value is bound to the name.

>    I hate not being able to read from right to left in a
> procrustean manner. The compromise is read the
> right side of the "assignment" operator and then
> the left side and do what common sense expects.

You can read from right to left but you just have to
do it under the rules of Python :-)

Alan G.