[Tutor] Interactive Menu Woes

Bryan Magalski bryan_magalski at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 14 12:06:16 CET 2007

Greetings all!!

This is my first post and I am going to probably be vague at first, but, I will try my best to be specific.  I am a very GREEN scripter/programmer, so please be as descriptive as possible.  Ok, enough excuses, on with my question!

Here is my issue:

I am trying to build a menu for the following script to make it more "user friendly".  Nothing fancy, just a simple add data and look up the entered results.

The problem is that when I run my modified version with this snippet (please see attachment for original and my modified versions):

[code]
class MenuInput:

 # ask user to input data and store to be passed to manageable variables.
        def addName(self):
                print "To add a name, please input he following information: "
                self.enter = phoneentry()
                self.name = raw_input("Name: ")
                self.number = raw_input("Number: ")
                self.get = int(raw_input("What type of number is this? (choose one): \n 1. Home:\n 2. Work:\n 3. Cell:\n : "))
                def numberType(self, get = 1):
                        if self.get == 1:
                                self.returnType = HOME
                                #return self.getType
                        elif self.gete == 2:
                                self.returnType = WORK
                                #return self.getType
                        elif self.get == 3:
                                self.returnType = FAX
                                #return self.getType
                        return self.returnType

                self.type = numberType(self.get)
                self.enter(self.name, self.number, self.returnType)

        def display(self):
                print "Enter a name to look up: (leave blank to exit)"
                self.Name = str(raw_input("Name: "))
                print "%s has the following information: " % self.Name
                if self.Name != "":
                        foo = phonedb()
                        for entry in foo.lookup(self.Name):
                                print '%-40s %s (%s)' % (entry.name, entry.number, entry.showtype())
                                print
[/code]

when I instantiate and run it with:

[code]
menu = MenuInput()
menu.addName()
[/code]

and enter the information asked, I am given this runtime error:

[error]
To add a name, please input he following information:
Name: Bryan
Number: 1234567
What type of number is this? (choose one):
 1. Home:
 2. Work:
 3. Cell:
 : 1
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "examples\testpy\my_object_modified.py", line 101, in <module>
    menu.addName()
  File "examples\testpy\my_object_modified.py", line 85, in addName
    self.type = numberType(self.get)
  File "examples\testpy\my_object_modified.py", line 74, in numberType
    if self.get == 1:
AttributeError: 'int' object has no attribute 'get'

[/error]

I "think" that this has something to do with passing the results or possibly my functions are not properly calling (proper terminology?) each other.

Now what/where am I wrong?  As this is part of an object oriented programming class, I wanted the menu constructed inherent to the class.

Thank you in advance.  --Bryan

Make Yahoo! your homepage.
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs