[Tutor] XP environment variables (was: Wrong version of Python being executed)

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Mon Nov 12 18:01:55 CET 2007

Marc Tompkins wrote:
> In W2K and XP (not sure about NT), changes to environment variables made via
> the Control Panel will affect any NEW environments instantiated from the
> moment you click OK in the Environment Variables dialog.

> Something to be aware of, though - if CMD is being started by some other
> process, it may inherit a 'stale' environment.

*That's* why it is. For years I've launched my command shells from one
of various shortcut-key utils and I *never* tumbled to the fact that
that meant my cmd shell was running inside that util's process and so
didn't inherit env var changes. Thanks so much.

I have used Launchy, as a matter of fact, but for some reason it never
really clicked for me -- maybe I use a small enough range of programs
normally -- so I ended up uninstalling it. I agree it did what it did
very well, though.

TJG