[Tutor] New Introductory Book

bhaaluu bhaaluu at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 16:51:42 CET 2007

Algorithm Education in Python
http://www.ece.uci.edu/~chou/py02/python.html

This article from Pai H. Chou at University of California, Irvine
shows how well the Python programming language maps itself
to the pseudocode used in _Introduction to Algorithms Second Editon_
[Corman, Leiserson, Rivest, Stein. 2001. McGraw-Hill. ISBN 0262032937].

Excerpt from the article:
<quote>
7. Conclusions and Future Educational Plans
This paper reports our use of Python in an algorithms course in the
past two years. As an
algorithm-oriented language, Python enables our students to learn key
concepts in algorithm
design, instead of struggling with low-level, idiosyncratic features
of conventional programming
languages. The way Python handles data types represents a perfect
match with the way
textbooks present algorithms, and its interpretive nature encourages
students to experiment
with the language.
</quote>

I have a copy of Corman, and it really is amazing how "Python" all the
pseudocode is!

On Nov 8, 2007 6:01 PM, Danyelle Gragsone <ladynikon at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is why I am going for programming instead of just CS. I am a very
> hands on person.. although I know theory is good.. I just think it
> needs to be evened out a bit :D.

b h a a l u u at g m a i l dot c o m
http://www.geocities.com/ek.bhaaluu/python/index.html