[Tutor] Automating operations... os module, mysql operations, more...

Michael Langford mlangford.cs03 at gtalumni.org
Thu Nov 1 22:39:21 CET 2007

> 1) Maintain a mysql database which contains information, as well as
> 'control' variables, pointers to directories, etc.  for various shell
> scripts / fortran code. ->pyMySQL

You're on the right track

> 2) Query various servers to see if there is 'idyl' time/resources... send
> a job to the server if it's available...

This and 3 can be helped out with ipython

3) Use python to check the file system for existing files (glob?) , decide
> which 'jobs' need to be run, etc.
> ->os, sys, glob
>
> 4) Use python as glue between the db and the shell /fortran routines. For
> this I picture python querying the db, 'writing' new CONTROL files, and
> using subprocess to run the scripts / fortran.
> ->sys, os, subprocess

I'd imagine SWIG may make it so you can actually call it if you make your
fortran compiler spit out a C compatible library. I know that one of the
Fortran95 compilers does this.

5) Update the db with information regarding the status of the various
scripts / fortran.

> ->pyMySQL
>
> 6) Have a portion of the information available to a plone site for dynamic
> html generation.
> ->ZMySQLDBConn
> ->Z SQL Methods
>

> --
> Configuration
> ``````````````````````````
> Plone 2.5.3-final,
> CMF-1.6.4,
> Zope (Zope 2.9.7-final, python 2.4.4, linux2),
> Five 1.4.1,
> Python 2.4.4 (#1, Jul 3 2007, 22:58:17) [GCC 4.1.1 20070105 (Red Hat
> 4.1.1-51)],
> PIL 1.1.6

Michael Langford
Phone: 404-386-0495