[Tutor] Creating a closed source application in Python?

Bob Gailer bgailer at alum.rpi.edu
Mon May 28 19:32:31 CEST 2007

Alan Gauld wrote:
> Most commercial mainframe programs are 'closed source'
> but they include a source code listing so that the
> operations teams can figfure out whats going wrong in
> the event of an abend (ABnormal END - mainframe speak
> for a crash!)

Ah that brings back fond memories. In November 1974 I learned APL and
began using it frevently. 3 months later I was 1 of 2 men responsible
for the installation maintenance and enhancement of IBM's CMS\APL
interpreter program. In order to do this job I also had to learn 370
assembler and be able to wade thru a several inch thick stack of
assembler listings finding the code relevant to a particular problem,
find the bug, and report it to the IBMers in Philadelphia. They were
always accessible and responsive.

BTW my mainframe terminal ran at 120 cps and printed on paper!

--
Bob Gailer
510-978-4454