[Tutor] SMS to Python

wesley chun wescpy at gmail.com
Tue May 22 20:26:19 CEST 2007

> I would like to be able to send an SMS message from my phone which is then
> picked up by a Python script and acted on.  I'm fairly proficient in Python
> and networking, but don't know much about SMS messaging.  Where's the best
> place to start?

it depends on your application.  at my current job here in the US, we
deal with mBlox (http://www.mblox.com) who connects our app to
carriers which then exchanges SMS/txt msgs with phones.  they provide
us an API (java SDK or XML) -- we use the latter plus ElementTree --
and you just call theirs directly to send msgs to phones (MTs). we
also provide them an API so they can call our app for incoming msgs
(MOs).

the bottom line is that you need some sort of interface with carriers
in order to communicate to/from phones with.

hope this helps!
-- wesley
    http://corepython.com

wesley.j.chun :: wescpy-at-gmail.com