[Tutor] Starting with wxPython

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue May 22 19:25:02 CEST 2007

"Alan Gilfoy" <agilfoy at frontiernet.net> wrote

> soon, and I plan to use wxPython to do so. What, do you think, is
> the
> best tutorial out there for wxPython?

I'm working through the new wxPython book and highly recommend
it. It's one of the best GUI books I've read - and I've read a few in
my
time! And given the iffy standard of the online wxPython documentation
I'd also recommend it as a reference.

> Also, what happens when you code for some GUI feature and run the
> script in your IDE, such as IDLE? Will the graphical features
> properly
> appear?

IMHO The best thing is to use PyCrust (part of wxPython) instead
of IDLE or Pythonwin. Its fully integrated and gives a very good
interactive
prompt too. The book gives instructions on how to run your app
from within pyCrust so you can use PyCrust to inspect values
etc while the app is running. Its powerful stuff. (In fact I'm now
using
PyCrust as my standard shell.

Or use PyAlaMode as an IDE. Features the PyCrust shell and
tabbed edit windows.

The Py toolset is found in

{PYTHON}\Lib\site-packages\wx-2.8-msw-ansi\wx\py

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site