[Tutor] Fixing garbled email addresses

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue May 1 16:43:51 CEST 2007

On 01/05/07, Ben Sherman <bensherman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey there - it would be better if you replied to the list - that way the
> answers below could help others..
>
> On 5/1/07, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > > # Then filter each line of the file through the regex, discarding the
> > > <> from above, and puts each address into a list.
> > > addresses = [re_mail.search(line).group(1) for line in
> email_list.readlines()]
> >
> > Alright, I had to read that line twice. That's fine, though, I'm just
> > getting started.
>
> This is a list comprehension - let's break it up so I can explain it a
> little better.
>
> # a new list
> addresses = []
>
> # read each line of the file
>  for line in email_list.readline():
>     # search each line, then print out what is in group 1 which is the text
> between the
>     # parentheses in the compiled regex
>      address = re_mail.search(line).group(1)
>     # add the new address to out list
>      addresses.append(address)
>
> List comprehensions are the best thing ever!
>
> Happy to help,
> Ben

With Gmail one must be careful and check that the To and Subject
fields contain what you'd expect.

Does 'list comprehension' mean a detailed explanation of the code? If
so, then I'll be reading a lot of them in the near future. I really do
appreciate the dedication and attention to detail. Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com/what_is/sitepoint.html
http://u-tube-com.com