[Tutor] Developing a GUI application

Terry Carroll carroll at tjc.com
Fri Mar 23 23:16:34 CET 2007

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007, Luke Paireepinart wrote:

> In either case, what you're intending to end up with is a decoupling of
> the GUI code and the program logic.

Absolutely.  I try to do that in any case, even in non-GUI.

[other good advice snipped]

> > (If it matters: I'm going to use wxPython; and my app is yet another CDROM
> > database program; more details available if it matters.)
>
> Sounds pretty interesting, mind elaborating a bit?  Is it just for
> retrieving the CD info from freecddb and whatnot and display it?

It's planned to be a database for data CDs, rather than audio ones; the
main advantage over the many DBs I've already encountered is to store an
MD5 checksum of the file, so that I can check to see if a new file I have
is a duplicate of something I already have and have archived off to CDROM,
without having to find the CDROM.

I've also thought of having a twist here for MP3 files, specifically,
distinguishing between the files' audio frames and identification info
frames, and checksumming only the audio portion; so that two otherwise
identical MP3 files with different ID3 data would nonetheless have the
same audio checksum and show up as identical; but that's an idea for the
future.

I've also thought of, for image files, to store a thumbnail in the
database, too.

In any case, dabbler that I am (and given the fact that I have two
daughters, one 2 years and one only 3 weeks, which substantially cuts into
my hacking time), I'll probably finish this up, oh, sometime in 2008.