[Tutor] tips for writing a program

Mat Newport lake2snow19 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 20 02:29:51 CEST 2007

I have taken a fundamentals of programming course at a local college, but that class does not provide the level of expertise to write a program I have in mind. So I do have basic skills, I just need to be shown the tools to write this thing and I think I could put it all together.
Basically the program would scan a specified folder, build a list of specific files (.txt in the example below), and then have the ability to move and rename certain one's based on a separate list. For example, it would scan c:\test\  for .txt files
and find:

"Koontz lighning.txt"
"davinci_code.txt"

it would then test its list of found files against a large database for a match, and upon finding the match copy move and rename them to

"Dean Koontz - Lightning.txt"
"Dan Brown - The Davinci Code.txt"

Et cetera. I know basic python but don't know how to make it generate the list, store them, analyze it against another list, then copy and rename based on the matches it finds. Is this a task for a different program?