[Tutor] software modeling tools used with Python

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 4 10:32:11 CEST 2007

"Alexander Kapshuk" <akap at isd.dp.ua> wrote

> I was just wondering about what software modelling tools
> are normally used to design Python programs.

By the nature of Python and the size of programs normally
written I'd say there is no modelling tool used *normally*.

If a project is big enough to warrant a modelling tool then
any of the normal tools would be adequate.

Personally I have used Borland Together, Rational Rose,
Visio, Dia and xfig plus a couple of really expensive
Enterprise Architecture tools for which I happened
to have licenses at the time... All of them worked
within their own limitations.

> I have heard of Star UML.

Sorry, never heard of that one.

> What else is available out there?

See the list above :-)
Do you have a price range?
Do you have any particular features you need?
For example do you want a fancy drawing tool (eg Visio)
or do you want the tool to syntax check UML?
Or generate code? Or reverse engineer existing code?
To generate documents? Single or multi-user? Integration
with change control tools or IDEs? etc etc etc.

Regards,

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site