[Tutor] Calculator research

Andrei project5 at redrival.net
Sat Jun 2 10:18:02 CEST 2007

Hi Adam,

> Ok, this is my research for a better calculator.  I want to make a
> calculator that is much less lame than the one that comes standard
> with windows.  If anyone has any ideas for how to start or some things

A very simple option would be to just call eval() - you get the full
power of Python at basically no cost. The downside is that you get the
full power of Python, meaning your calculator could be used for
'dangerous' things. Depending on your target audience, that may or may
not be an issue.

> Also, I'd like to know how to make my program have visual qualities,
> like the standard calculator.  I assume that this is either impossible
> or very advanced/difficult, considering I have not previously heard

You mean a GUI, right? It's more difficult than plain CLI, but it's not
really difficult. Google for wxPython and wxGlade - you can design your
interface in a point-and-click manner. You will need to learn a bit
about wxPython in the process, but don't have to become an expert.

--
Yours,

Andrei

=====
Mail address in header catches spam. Real contact info:
''.join([''.join(s) for s in zip(
"poet at aao.l pmfe!Pes ontuei ulcpss  edtels,s hr' one oC.",
"rjc5wndon.Sa-re laed o s npbi ot.Ira h it oteesn edt C")])