[Tutor] newbie: Reading text file

Preecha Bundrikwong preecha88 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 08:04:28 CEST 2007

Dear Tutors,

I have a text file (mylist.py actually), it contains exactly below:
---------------
# file mylist.py
jobs = [
        'Lions',
        'SysTest',
        'trainDD',
        'Cats',
        'train',
        'sharks',
        'whale',
        ]
----------------

I want to write another script and get the list "jobs" from the above
script.

Is it possible for me to get the variable 'jobs' and its value from the file
(as a list)? What I'm trying to do now is open the file, readlines in a
loop, once it finds the line with "jobs = [", then start accumulate (append)
a varible until it hits the line with "]" then stop. This is too
complicated. I believe there should be an easier way in Python. Can anyone
guide me, please.

Thanks in advance,
PB