[Tutor] Shelve del not reducing file size

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Fri Jul 27 16:13:02 CEST 2007

Well, 'carpers' was my word but there is some truth to it. For example
this recent exchange:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_frm/thread/77285bd20fafbf2b/b0ffd482e925f0c0?hl=en#b0ffd482e925f0c0
which made it into QOTW in Python-URL, inspiring this rejoinder:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_frm/thread/6348bfbb69642a4a/1d7f98c3c82fd64b?hl=en#1d7f98c3c82fd64b

Ultimately it seems to come down to
- Python is open source
- Python developers are largely unpaid volunteers working on what
interests them
- If you want something to change, you can
-- do it yourself
-- convince someone to volunteer to do it
-- pay someone to do it

So far cleaning up the std lib has not attracted any of these three options.

Kent