[Tutor] Shelve del not reducing file size

Barton David David.Barton at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Jul 27 15:50:11 CEST 2007

Sadly I can't think of a plan B, hence the frustration! Python, as far
as I know, is as good as it gets. And I don't have the courage or the
capability to improve it myself.

So all I can really do is clasp my hands together and helplessly plead:
"Won't Somebody, Please, Think of the Children!"

(Meaning struggling non-pro users like me, of course)

As far as I'm concerned, the core language has matured to be elegant and
terrificly newbie-friendly, but the extended functionality (the standard
library) absolutely has not. It disappoints me that Guido and many other
developers *seem* to be more concerned with strategies for revamping the
former than they are with strategies for improving the latter. If Kay
Schluehr, Paul Rubin and John Nagle are opposing this trend and being
dismissed as 'carpers' then I fear Python has lost sight of the
'friendliness' it once seemed to aspired to.