[Tutor] Integrate content of rss file in static web pages with python

Sebastien sebastien at solutions-linux.org
Tue Jul 24 02:38:13 CEST 2007

Hi,

I have this website (http://solutions-linux.org/) and I have a little news section on the right side.

Presently the pages are just static html pages, but I would like to do a little rss file to put the news in it and then do a little script that puts them on the pages with the right markup.

I never worked with rss, but I know basics of xml, so I don't think there is any problem there. The part that gets me wondering is how to glue the rss to the html files. I worked a little bit with PHP in the past and I'm now learning Python.

I think the normal way of doing that would be to do a CGI script in whatever language I prefer (my server offers me all the popular ones: perl, python, php ...). It doesn't need a lot of speed, because the site just has a couple of pages. But how exactly am I supposed to do that? I would prefer using python do to that it's if a good choice.

I read a couple of python examples with the CGI module on how to deal with forms, but only how to create a new page entirely with cgi and python, not how to change only a part on an already existing page.

Thanks in advance!

Seb