[Tutor] IDLE Usage - was Interpreter Restarts

Eric Brunson brunson at brunson.com
Mon Jul 23 01:13:05 CEST 2007

Alan Gauld wrote:
> "Dave Kuhlman" <dkuhlman at rexx.com> wrote
>

>> If you find yourself opening multiple sessions to the same
>> UNIX/Linux box, you might want to look into screen, which enables
>> you to create and switch between multiple sessions.
>>

>> For more on screen, do "man screen" and look here:
>>
>>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Screen
>>

> I've heard of screen but never used it.
> The biggest problem I can see with it is that you can only see one
> screen(sic) at a time or use split screens to see partial screens.

You can only see one screen at a time as far as I know.  If you need
split screens, use emacs.

> Can you copy/paste between sessions?

Yes, either with your native ssh client cut and paste, or with screen's
somewhat cumbersome cut and paste, which I personally never use.

> Does it run on a remote server within the SSH client? If so how

Yes.

> does it determine screen/window sizes?

SIGWINCH+GNU doublegood magic.  Screen has its own terminfo/termcap
entry, clients write using screens window controls, then the screen
application translates those directive to whatever term you're using at
the time.

> And do you know if you can get it for cygwin - its not installed by
> default, at least not on my cygwin.

It's in the repos.

The best thing (in my book) about screen, which I've been using for
about 17 years, is you can disconnect from a screen session and
reconnect from another login.  I regularly start a long running process
at work, then go home and use "screen -RD" to remotely detach the screen
session and reconnect it to my current login.  Plus, you don't have to
worry about a compilation/database import/whatever dying because your
VPN/dialup/cable modem dropped, everything keeps running and you just
reattach.

My *only* complaint about screen is its default control key is Ctrl-a,
which is "beginning of line" in emacs parlance.  You have to get used to
using "Ctrl-a A" to go to the start of the line, but in all, it's a
minor inconvenience.