[Tutor] How do you install EGG files

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Wed Jul 18 12:59:14 CEST 2007

Terry Carroll wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jul 2007, shawn bright wrote:
>
>> Hey there all,
>> i got the news that storm was released as open source. Storm is a db orm for
>> python.
>> i have a downloaded package and i would like to play with it, but it does
>> not come with any install instructions.
>> i found the package here https://storm.canonical.com/FrontPage
>> there is a makefile in the top level folder, so should i use gcc and try to
>> 'make'  'make install' or is that not necessarily the way to go here?

The makefile is just a front-end to the tests. I think you can just copy
the storm directory (the one containing __init__.py, not the top-level
storm-0.9 dir) to your site-packages directory.

> I see it comes in an EGG format, which is just a ZIP file.   What will (I
> think) work is to open the EGG file with your favorite unzipper and unzip
> into your site-packages directory (making sure to use the directory names
> from the EGG file).

egg files are zip files packaged for use with easy_install:
http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall

In many cases easy_install gives one-step installation of Python
packages, including downloading from the CheeseShop. In the case of
storm it didn't work for me (using the --dry-run option though). YMMV.

Kent