[Tutor] interpreter restarts

Tiger12506 keridee at jayco.net
Mon Jul 16 18:15:55 CEST 2007

Hmmm. You should read closer ;-)

> It sounds like python_icon.exe is a fake executable that just contains the
> icon for python programs...
> hence the name.

Perhaps. If that's the case though, someone needs to talk to the guys who
design the setup file for python. It is an inefficient waste of space to
store icons in a dead executable. An .ico file is better. That is for what
they are designed. I believe that it is not a dead executable, because those
writers have more sense than that. Also the odd location of the executable
suggests it has another purpose. And it has to have a purpose, otherwise
IDLE never would get started.

> You probably stumbled across the path to the icon to use, instead of the
> path that is used when running the 'Edit with IDLE' thing.

As my message said, I already have that. I was trying to find the path that
the icon in the start menu uses to start IDLE, so that I could compare them.

> Try this:
> open an Explorer window, via Start Button -> Run -> explorer {ENTER}
> or your favorite method.  Use the My Computer shortcut if you want, either
> way.
> Now hit "Alt, t, o" to browse to the Tools -> Folder Options menu setting.
> Go to the File Types tab, and scroll down till you find "PY"
> click the Advanced button.
> You should now see a dialog box with Edit with IDLE listed under actions.
> Click Edit when "Edit with IDLE" is selected.
> in the "Application used to perform action:" field you should see
> something like this:
>
> "C:\Python24\pythonw.exe" "C:\Python24\Lib\idlelib\idle.pyw" -n -e "%1"

And you can also get to Folder Options by opening Control Panel.
You can also get there by typing in Folder Options in any open folder.

Quoting my own message:

>> This is the command that is in the registry concerning the Edit with IDLE
>> menu.
>> "C:\Python25\pythonw.exe" "C:\Python25\Lib\idlelib\idle.pyw" -n -e "%1"

Yes~ I know about Folder Options. ~smirk~ I also know where in the Windows
Registry that Folder Options stores those file extensions.

> As you will notice, there are some parameters there at the end.
> the -n is the one you're interested in .
> -n means no subprocess.

Yes. Yes. That is what I'm interested in.
Sigh. I know Windows very well for my background. The command line
parameters for pythonw.exe ~ not so much.

JS