[Tutor] tutor

bhaaluu bhaaluu at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 14:54:24 CEST 2007

Greetings,

I have found that this Python Book has been helpful:

http://ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCS/python/english2e.tgz

How to Think Like a Computer Scientist
Learning with Python

by Allen B. Downey, Jeffrey Elkner and Chris Meyers
Printed copies now available from Green Tea Press.

One of the most fundamental steps in designing a computer program
is to be able to state the problem clearly and unambiguously and to
gain a clear understanding of what is required for its solution. The
objective here is to eliminate unimportant aspects and zero in on
the root problem (most computer programs solve a problem).

>From my own experiences, I've found that some people are able to
learn from books with minimal outside help, some can learn from
books with maximum outside help, and others can't learn from books
at all, they need to have their hands held from the first step to the
final destination. The later usually don't make it too far after the
first journey.

As for myself, I am a hobbyist programmer who enjoys computer
programming much in the same way that others enjoy doing cryptix
and crossword puzzles. I'm usually able to learn from books with
minimal help. Even so, in the beginning, the documentation for a
new computer programming language is somewhat difficult to follow.
So, I stick with the tutorials that are easier to understand until I can
gain enough experience to understand the documentation. I also
use Internet search engines to look for relevant code snippets.
I can often learn how to solve a particular problem by studying
source code that is already working, and modifying it to suit myself.

http://www.google.com/codesearch/advanced_code_search

I really don't know how to advise someone who can't read.
Computer programming is a a literate activity. If one can't
read, a book is no good. If one can't read, then advice
from a programmer's mailing list will probably go unnoticed.

If money ($ USD) is no object, perhaps a good suggestion is:
Enroll in a Summer Computer Programming Camp!
Yeah, that's the ticket! 8^D

Can anyone recommend a good
Summer Python Computer Programming Camp?

42!
--
bhaaluu at gmail dot com