[Tutor] how long?

Tiger12506 keridee at jayco.net
Sun Jul 8 20:55:20 CEST 2007

> Thorsten Kampe wrote:
>> * Ben Waldin (Tue, 3 Jul 2007 19:46:42 +1200)
>>> How long will it take until I successfully create my own working program
>>> that is useful? I have crated the address book ones in the tutors and
>>> just want to know how long it takes before I start to create my own
>>> thought up programs that will be useful. Thanks Ben
>>
>> Approximately ten days, four hours and six minutes

Hmmm... I'd say it depends on whether or not you can... 'create my own
thought up programs', much more than how long it takes.

Hey! I have an idea! Why don't you write a python program that can calculate
just how long it takes for you to do that? I'd guess that's what Thorsten
Kampe has done. ;-)

Factors involved in the algorithm:
1) How quickly you develop creative ideas (women usually do this better - My
mother walks into a craft store, looks at an ugly little doll and exclaims,
"Oooh! I know just what to do with that!")

2) How "useful" those ideas are - i.e. How many drawings you have compared
to started projects

3) How motivated you are to finish them - ex. how crowded your workbench is
compared to how many projects you have finished.

4) How effectively you translate thoughts into words, that is, how well you
can articulate the language you are working in. (Be it English, Spanish,
French, German, Python, C/C++, etc.)

5) Hmmm... I can't think of a "Five". That means I must be lacking a little
in #1. ;-)

Let's see... Once you've accumulated a bunch of data about yourself, your
habits, your hobbies, the 4 factors i listed, etc, etc, etc... Then all you
have to do is do a weighted calculation averaging these together... Hmmm...
you'll need a test case too, so you will have to accumulate data on other
people to see how long it takes them (based on their abilities because
different people have different capacities for learning). Oh. And you will
have to determine just what useful means to you. Collect a lot of data on
that, being sure that you compare what you think is useful against what
other people think is useful. Average it all up and come up with some sort
of result. Just always keep in mind what you're aiming for, your goal (which
in this case is to find how long it takes to write useful programs).

LOL. Do you really think that anyone on this list can tell you how long it
will take? Only *you* know how long it will take *you* to write what *you*
think is a useful program.

Jacob S.