[Tutor] 'elp!!!!!!!1Totally Clueless Newbie In Distress

Karl Wittgenstein miago.python at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 14:19:24 CET 2007

Dear Smart Caring Dude,
I've been dabbling into Python for about 6 weeks now.I'm a Social Sciences
student who just got interested in programming and chose Python as first
language.I have little time to practice and I am just getting into
programming concepts,so please be patient,in case you are so kind as to
enlighten this poor soul.
I am trying to write this program which should compare values that are set
by the program  through user's choice to values that the user enters on a
prompt.I use SPE on windows xp,and it tells me that there are indentation
erros on the definitions.Isn't it legal to start a new block of code when
starting a definition?And how come it returns 'variable' not defined,when
they are defined by the = ??Should i make them global?
I would be very grateful to the patient soul that answers these questions,as
my learning interest is sincere and the knowledge sources so disperse.
Here goes the code:

#Ok,this is supposed to be a 2 option choice between values 1 and 4,
#i want the value to determine the variable values inside the function
def porao():
    porao = raw_input()
    if porao == 1 :
        global altura_aeronave = 111
        global largura_aeronave = 112
        global comprimento = 211
    elif porao == 4:
       global altura_aeronave = 112
       global largura_aeronave = 113
       global comprimento = 212
    else:
        print "Porão inexistente"
#These three functions were supposed to get input from user so it can be
compared
#with the values determinated(determined?)above
def largura():
   global largura=input()
def altura():
   global altura=input()
def comprimento():
   global comprimento = input()
#These are the comparison functions
def largura_compativel ():
    if not largura <= largura_aeronave:
        print 'Volume largo demais!'
def altura_compativel ():
    if not altura <= altura_aeronave:
        print 'Volume alto demais!'
def comprimento_compativel ():
    if not comprimento<=comprimento_aeronave:
        print 'Volume comprido demais!'
#Try to run this damn thing,man!!!!!1
porao()
largura()