[Tutor] Tutor Digest, Vol 35, Issue 18

Tony Cappellini cappy2112 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 21:50:51 CET 2007

Message: 7
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 08:04:23 -0800 (PST)
From: Mike Ellis <maellis002 at yahoo.com>
Subject: [Tutor] Python gui for file input
To: tutor at python.org

Hi all,

I am looking to create a simple gui interface to a small script.  The script
requires the user to input a directory.  I would like to allow the user to
browse the windows file system for the desired directory rather than type in
the full path by hand.  This would operate in much the same way as any
program when you select File>Open.  Is this possible to do with python?  Can
anyone point me in the proper direction to find more info on this or perhaps
an example script using a similar feature?

Thanks for your help,
Michael

If you're looking for a simple cross-paltform solution, EasyDialogs is by
far the easiest.
http://www.averdevelopment.com/python/EasyDialogs.html

You don't have to learn anything about any GUI framework. This will invoke
the native file open browser for Windows/Linux.
2-3 lines of code max.

It will