[Tutor] Starting python from a DOS prompt from any directory?

Daniel McQuay simplebob at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 00:43:30 CET 2007

yeah, you know what i totally didn't think about setting the environmental
values (yeah Media Center is the same as XP Pro). i guess i should of known
that. geeze now i feel like a moron. however, i didn't know about that quick
little DOS trick.

thanks a lot guys for such a quick response and pointing out the obvious.

this has got to be the best and most friendly list ever.

happy new year to you all,

On 12/31/06, Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at btinternet.com> wrote:

> "Steve Oldner" <Steven.Oldner at LA.GOV> wrote
>
> > change defaults (programmers aren't allowed to do system
> > admin stuff, heck, we can't even move our PC's or monitors).
>
> You can just type in the PATH statement every time you
> start DOS
>
> PATH= %PATH%;D:\Python25
>
> And it will have the same effect.
>
> You can even create a Batch file and put it into
> somewhere your PATH can see
>

> D:\Python25\python %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
>
> should work.
>
> But how did you install Python if you can't change the
> system? If you have access to install programs you
> have access to set environment variables, at least
> for yourself!
>
> Alan G.

Daniel McQuay
boxster.homelinux.org