[Tutor] Running an exe from Python

Dan Klose perlmunky at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 26 18:30:02 CET 2007

On 2/26/07, Nagendra Singh <singh01 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. I used the function subprocess.call( 'c:\abc.exe  c:\data\file1'), but as before the command window opens and
> closes very fast a value of 1 is displayed. How do I see the results??  I am
> sorry if I sound dumb.
>
> Singh
>
> On 2/23/07, Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at btinternet.com> wrote:
> >

> > "Rikard Bosnjakovic" <rikard.bosnjakovic at gmail.com> wrote

> > > Use os.popen:
> >
> > As Rikard, Richard and Hugo have pointed out there are
> > numerous ways to do this in Python.
> >
> > The officially sanctioned way nowadays is to use the subprocess
> > module. It supercedes all tthe previous methods being both more
> > powerful, more flexible and fairly easy to use.
> >
> > All the techniques are discussed in my Using the OS topic in
> > my tutorial.
> >
> > HTH,
> >
> > --
> > Alan Gauld
> > Author of the Learn to Program web site
> > http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld

I am not a big user of python, hence the username, however I used the
os.popen command as suggested by Rikard

In the shell:

data = os.popen('ls')
type(data)
    <type 'file'>
Then a loop over the data object
for f in data:
    print f

seemed to do the job.

I did notice that I could not capture the information to a var using the
subprocess call - I HAVE NOT READ THE DOCs (yet) - a quick look suggested
that this *should* work

The call I made using subprocess
from subprocess import call
foo = call("ls")