[Tutor] control multiple FTP sessions using multiple ipconnectionsvia different com ports

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 18 09:57:28 CET 2007

"ray sa" <bizag007 at yahoo.com> wrote

>   An EDGE terminal is a phone that has the capability of
> connecting to the internet.
> ...EDGE is just faster than a GPRS connection and 3G is
> supposedly faster than GPRS and EDGE.

Thanks. I'm familiar with GPRS and 3G but never heard of EDGE.
Looks like time I did some research...

>  I have written a script that connects to a ftp server within
> my home country and downloads a file.

OK, In that case you speed will be governed by many things:
1) The slowest link between you and the server
2) The queue size at the server
3) The speed of the server

Using the Internet to guage the speed of your connection
is not a very useful test unless you repeat it many times
at different times of day etc and take an average.

Even when I only had 512K broadband I rarely gor that
speed on long internet connections because the links
elsewhere or the destination were busy.

Now I have 8M broadband I still often only get 300K or
less on an internet connection to the U?S for example.
In other words the increased bandwidth does not translate
directly to faster speeds for long connections. Once a
connection is established - like your ftp session - then
downloads are faster so its ot a totally useless test,
but it may not accurately reflect your connection speeds!

Can you get access to a local server at your ISP?
Download the same file from there? - You may have
to upload it first! That would be a better test of your
end of the link. And you wouldn't need to run both
connections together, just time several download
sessions to each ISP and average the times.

> There must be away to tell the script and control
> which connection to use.

But this is the real question, and I confess I'm not sure
how you do it. I will have a dig around though, because
you have aroused my interest!

>  I hope this helps sorry for too much text couldn't
> really find a simpler way to explain this.

No its fine. Having the context uis always helpful.

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site