[Tutor] Picking Nits in "Learning to Program"

Carroll, Barry Barry.Carroll at psc.com
Fri Feb 16 19:28:02 CET 2007

Alan:

This is arguably a minor detail, and not directly related to Python but, hey, I'm a programmer.  Minor details are my stock in trade.  So here goes.

In "Learning to Program", look at "The Raw Materials", "Real Numbers".  The first sentence, "These are fractions" is technically incorrect, but incomplete.  While it's true that fractions (i.e. rational numbers) are real numbers, there are far more real numbers that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers.  Hence the name "Irrational Numbers".  The square root of two is the prime example. (Sorry, can't do the math symbol in Plain Text.)

You might say something like, "Fractions are examples of real numbers."

I know, I know.  Strictly speaking, integers are real numbers, too.  But let's not quibble. 8^)

Regards,

Barry
barry.carroll at psc.com
541-302-1107