[Tutor] How to make ftplib show progress while uploading a large file

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Tue Feb 6 12:05:51 CET 2007

Terry Carroll wrote:
> The hard part is going to get ftplib to talk to your dialog.  You're
> uploading.  ftplib's download methods (retrbinary and retrlines) include a
> callback option, which would let you update the progress as you went, but
> the upload methods (storbinary and storlines) does not.[1]
>
> [1] And why not?  I don't see any good reason why it shouldn't.  A patch
> to do this was submitted last year.[2]  It would be nice to see this in
> 2.6.  Ruby has it.[3]

For a good look at the realities of getting patches accepted and
committed, see this thread on python-dev:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-October/049490.html

Bottom line: the committers are volunteers and they work on what they
want to. Often they prefer writing code to reviewing and applying patches.

Kent