[Tutor] Best way of learning

wesley chun wescpy at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 23:48:08 CET 2007

> Over a year ago I dabbled in learning Python, working my way through a
> few tutorials, the Deitel's  "How to program in Python" and Hetland's
> "Practical Python", until I came across the OOP sections. My mind just
> froze up, and I found myself wondering if I had really understood
> anything at all.
>        :
> I am happy to read, and have done a fair amount, but am concerned about
> getting too overwhelmed and confused again. I acknowledge and realise
> the value of practising by scripting programs and enjoy the intellectual
> challenge of the debugging process, and trying to think through the
> trick of a particular way of cracking a problem.
>
> So, after this long-winded introduction, I was hoping to pick the wisdom
> of this list to get some pointers of what to do/not to do to make the
> most effective use of the few hours I have to learn how to program using
> Python. So, any advice for someone in their mid-40s who would like to
> learn Python in a more methodical and effective manner?

hi there, and a belated welcome to Python.  the fact that you have
some coding under your belt really helps.  without being too much of a
shameless plug, you are a member of the target audience i wrote "Core
Python Programming" for:
you have some programming skills and want to learn Python quickly and
effectively.  the book has lots of small snippets that you should be
able to easily follow, plus there are both short and long, easy and
more difficult, exercises at the end of every chapter. check out the
philosophy behind the book (plus all kinds of reviews!) at the book's
website http://corepython.com

you can also find a link to downloading a free chapter on the
left-hand side too. as a programmer myself with over 10 years of
Python, i know what newbies need to know in order to become effective
in their new favorite language. :-) my goal as an instructor is to be
able to explain things in a simple enough manner that things are
clear, with the minimal amount of confusion, including the OOP
chapter. finally, my goal as the author is to merge all of this
together in an easy-to-swallow and conversational format along with
practical examples to solidify your newfound knowledge.  should i
mention i'm in your age group too?  ;-)

best of luck to you, and again, welcome to Python!
-- wesley
    http://corepython.com

wesley.j.chun :: wescpy-at-gmail.com
http://cyberwebconsulting.com