[Tutor] how to accept an integer?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Dec 6 00:51:59 CET 2007

"Mahesh N" <mahesh.mach at gmail.com> wrote

> More over i find python to be a little sluggish after having worked
> with C
> and Java.

If you translate C or Java code into python you will usually
get a less than optimal implementation. Python should be
barely slower than Java and often faster. Compared to
C - yes there is a slow-down.

But even in C you can use tools like Psycho and Pyrex to
speed up critical sections to near C speeds if the problem fits.
Or rewrite the critical section in C and wrap it as a module
using SWIG. Thats how most of the performance ritical modules
in the library are written. Where the major bottleneck is I/O
work like database disk access or GUI or network sockets
then you should find Python fast enough.

> can someone temme where python is most applicable?
> server side scripting? am i guessing it right?

Python has been used in almost every form of programming
from image processing and database manipulation to games
programming and web server development. Do a search on
Source Forge for projects using Python for an example of
the variety.

I'd avoid operating systems, device drivers and hard real-time
applications though.

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site