[Tutor] problem resulting from installing 3.0

Dick Moores rdm at rcblue.com
Fri Aug 31 22:38:16 CEST 2007

XP, Python 2.5.1

I installed 3.0 alpha out of curiosity in a separate folder from
2.5.1. Then I found that both 2.5.1's IDLE and my main Python editor
Ulipad would no longer open. My first idea was that the installation
of 3.0 somehow changed my path. But it didn't. After uninstalling
3.0, and fiddling with the path and PYTHONPATH, IDLE and Ulipad now
open, but the console opens first. The files executed are idle.pyw
and ulipad.pyw. How can I get back to where I was before, without
that annoying console opening?

path:
%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program
Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\;E:\Program Files\IDM
Computer Solutions\UltraEdit-32;E:\Program
Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;E:\Program Files\Subversion\bin

PYTHONPATH:
E:\Python25\;E:\PythonWork\;E:\Programs\Ulipad3.7\

And another question is, exactly what should go into PYTHONPATH? I've
never been clear about that.

Thanks,

Dick Moores