[Tutor] Question about installing 2.51

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Aug 27 23:00:21 CEST 2007

"Dick Moores" <rdm at rcblue.com> wrote

> installation process (which I aborted), I was told, "This Update
> will
> replace your existing Python25 installation".
>
> What exactly does this mean? What will happen, for example, to all
> my
> scripts that are in E:\Python25\dev? Or to the packages I've put
> into
> E:\Python25\Lib\site-packages?

Probably all will be well. However I generally think its a bad idea to
keep
your scripts inside the Python folder structure since it makes it
harder
to share them over multiple Python versions and of course there is the
small  risk that an upgrade like this might destroy them (if for
example
Python acquired a dev sub folder structure!)

I always create a separate folder structure for my python code and
point
python at it using the PYTHONPATH env variable (or sys.path).

But that may not be a generally held view...

Alan G.