[Tutor] client server apps

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at airtelbroadband.in
Sun Aug 26 16:33:00 CEST 2007

paulino1 at sapo.pt wrote:
> Hi!
>

> What's the point in having a server app between the user frontend and
> a database backend? (As is the case of TinyERP wich is writen in
> python-GTK)
>
> Can't simillar functionality be achieved without that server? What are
> the main pro's and con's?

Off the cuff,  I think the layer would decouple your store (the db) and
the UI. So, you can actually make a GUI, a web based UI etc. for the
same application. Also, it would decouple your front end from a specific
database.

On the negative side, it's one more thing that needs to be written and
maintained and is a point of failure especially when large number of
clients connect simultaneously.

I'd value the opinions of some of the more experienced programmers on
this list.

--
~noufal