[Tutor] Python Book Recommendations [Was:[Re: Security]]

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Fri Aug 17 17:19:19 CEST 2007

bhaaluu wrote:
> Perhaps these concerns should be directed to either the
> maintainers of Python.Org ( http://python.org/ ), or to
> the author of the Software Carpentry Course?

I sent a pointer both to the lead maintainer (Dr. Greg Wilson at Univ.
Toronto) and to Titus Brown who, along with Chris Lasher, is having a
Software Carpentry sprint at SciPy'07 at Caltech tomorrow. So this is a
timely observation. :) Titus wrote back that it "sure does sound wrong,"
so I would bet on it getting fixed tomorrow.

SWC has been around since 1998. It started as an 800KUSD Dept. of Energy
project at Los Alamos for a design competition with cash prizes. It
resulted in several tools including Roundup and SCons. It received
27KUSD in funding from the PSF in 2006. It is taught to scientists at
Univ of Toronto, Indiana Univ, and Caltech. Dr. Wilson wrote about it in
the magazine of Sigma Xi:

http://www.americanscientist.org/template/AssetDetail/assetid/48548

It has moved around a lot. It's current official home is on scipy.org:

http://www.swc.scipy.org/

There are several links to older SWC URLs on python.org. None of them
are in the wiki where they could be easily fixed, however.

--
Sincerely,

Chris Calloway
http://www.seacoos.org
office: 332 Chapman Hall   phone: (919) 962-4323