[Tutor] Efficiency of Doxygen on Python vs C++?

Stephen McInerney spmcinerney at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 17 01:43:26 CEST 2007

My friend clarifies: "It's not the efficiency of doxygen that's the
question. The problem is that you can add fields to objects as you go in
Python so you need to do a deep analysis of the code to determine the class
structure which you don't have to do with C++ (or Java)."
He mentioned numbers like maybe ~20+x slower on lines-of-code for Python vs
C++.
A second friend of mine who is an XML/Java enthusiast echoed similar
comments about scalability in large builds with weakly-typed dynamic
languages such as Python.

(I said "why doesn't doxygen have optional pragmas to annotate the type of
tricky class members to the tool?")

Has anyone used Doxygen and can comment?

(Alan - their build setup was generating the docs every nightly build. Yes
it sounds like overkill and an inefficient setup, but notwithstanding that
I'm interested in the question as stands.)

Thanks,
Stephen