[Tutor] Python Book Recommendations [Was:[Re: Security]]

Tim Michelsen timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de
Wed Aug 15 20:00:28 CEST 2007

Hello list,
thanks to everybody who shared their experience with books and their
usefulness.

I think with regard to the other thread that passed lately:

Books with exercises and problems to solve -
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.tutor/42394

we must admit there are two type of learners:

* real programming beginners/novices who take Python to enter the world
of programmin or need to program only to solve some specific problems
that are arising in other areas of work like scientific data analysis,
modelling or engineering

* computer professionals who are very familiar with programming and
already know some lingos. They need a different learning approach than
the first group.

I for instance belong to the first group. I need Python for effective
data manipulation & analysis or program customatization/scripting within
other programs, etc. I bought "Python Scripting for Comuptional Science"
by H. Langtangen.
While this book adresses exctly my needs as far as the content and
spcialization is concerned I want to start off learning with a book that
helps me to pick up easier. Learning -- which is a auto-learning and
free choice in my case -- should be fun! Therefore I am consindering to
buy "Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner".

Did anyone here use this book for leaning? Is it easy enough for a
non-programmer while not being too light?

Kind regards,
Tim