[Tutor] Python Book Recommendations [Was:[Re: Security]]

bhaaluu bhaaluu at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 22:17:23 CEST 2007

Greetings,

The only Python Books I have are the ones that are freely
available for download from the Internet. Here is the list:

Learning to Program (by Alan Gauld - a Tutor on this list.)
http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/index.htm
This book is also available for purchase in dead-tree form.

How To Think Like a Computer Scientist: Learning with Python
http://ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCS/python/english2e/html/index.html

Dive Into Python
http://www.diveintopython.org/

A Byte of Python
http://swaroopch.info/text/Byte_of_Python:Main_Page

Python Documentation
http://docs.python.org/index.html

Thinking in Python
http://mindview.net/Books/TIPython

Text Processing in Python
http://gnosis.cx/TPiP/

Your best bet may be the "Learning to Program" book by Alan Gauld.
Also there are a ton of tutorials on the Internet, many of which will
get you up to speed with the basic stuff in a hurry.

On 8/13/07, Khamid Nurdiev <khamid.nurdiev at gmail.com> wrote:
> It is Good that you have the book because i have a few questions concerning
> the books again. This book by M. Zelle is getting really difficult shortly
> after that section (also as i see the examples are getting fewer) but it was
> easy till that part, so the question is: is it to me or is the rest of the
> book indeed explained not well(not like the beginning parts)?.

I call that the "Chapter 3 Syndrome."
They start out the book holding your hand, and explaining
everything nicely... then around Chapter 3 the author gets
tired of going so slowly, and the pace picks up and leaves me
behind. =)

> Having heard
> the recommendations on books for beginners i have ordered the book "Core
> Python Programming" by Wesley Chun, so comparing those two books which one
> is more suitable  (recommended) for a beginner to both python and
> programming?

Programming isn't for everyone! Until you find out whether or not
it's for you, don't spend hundreds and thousands of dollars on
computer programming books! =)

>  Here in our local library, the first edition of "Core python programming"
> is available so i guess i will use it till I receive the second edition, but
> i think it might take like a month, if not more till it gets to where i
> live. Is there much difference between the first and second editions? And
> also one more book, i haven't ordered it yet, is the "Python from novice to
> professional" by Magnus Lie Hetland, is it worth ordering and studying for a
> complete noob?

I think your local library is a great idea for checking out programming
books! Also, look into the Inter-library loan system for books that might
not be in your library branch. Most libraries can borrow books for you
from another branch within the system, or even from out-of-state.

Another resource is the local used-book stores. $40-$50 programming
books for $4-$5. They may have some highlighting or underlining,
but that doesn't usually make the content suffer. Often they'll
have the CD or floppy disk in the back cover.

Finally, if you do find a computer programming book that you
think is the Philosopher's Stone, and you can't live without it,
check all the used-book stores that sell online at:

http://used.addall.com

>  thanks for your answers.

You're welcome. =)
--