[Tutor] Bookpool sale on Addison Wesley

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 9 23:09:58 CEST 2007

"Sean Azelton" <sazelton at nd.edu> wrote

> Object-Oriented Programming in Python
> Michael H Goldwasser, David Letscher
> Prentice Hall
> List Price: $102.00

cough! How much?!!!!

> Our Price: $55.95

Still expensive but within the realms of reality.

> Estimated Publication Date November 2007, 700 pages, ISBN 0136150314
> Is this a good buy?

Doesn't look like it, but then I haven't read it. It just might be the
greatest OOP/Python book ever written. But I doubt it.

The Deitel books are similarly expensive($75) at list price but less
than $50 at discount. The latter price is realistic, the list price
silly.
I think some publishers deliberately go for high list price and rely
on people being suckered in by the huge discounts. Ignore the saving,
ask: is the price I'm paying what I feel is right for what I'm
getting?

Alan G.