[Tutor] Bookpool sale on Addison Wesley

wesley chun wescpy at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 21:22:40 CEST 2007

On 8/9/07, taserian <taserian at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it's intended to be a collegiate-level textbook, and not a
> find-a-copy-at-your-local-bookstore type of book. Textbooks
> are considerably more expensive.
>
> On 8/9/07, Sean Azelton <sazelton at nd.edu> wrote:
> > Oh - I didn't mean Bookpool was too expensive - they are almost half
> > the price of Amazon on this book.  for clarification - I was wondering
> > why the "Object-Oriented Programming in Python" book lists for $102.00
> > US when most books list for half that price.
>
> > On 8/9/07, Sean Azelton <sazelton at nd.edu > wrote:
> > > Can anyone tell me why the below book is listed as SOOOO expensive?
> > >
> > > Object-Oriented Programming in Python
> > > Michael H Goldwasser, David Letscher
> > > List Price: $102.00
> > > Our Price: $55.95
> > > You Save: $46.05 (45% Off)

welcome to the wonderful world of book publishing!  :-)  as tony has
alluded to, yes, the reason why it's so much is because it's being
sold as a college textbook -- remember how much your's were?  the
author royalties are generally higher, but your book can only be found
in college and/or technical bookstores, and generally at very steep
prices and low discounts, so a 45% discount is *fantabulous*!!  it's
probably because this book won't make it out on time for the current
school year, so to get some adoption, you need to make it affordable
enough for people to buy on their own, even if they *aren't* in
college.

hope this helps!
-wesley
    http://corepython.com