[Tutor] How to parse and extract data from a log file?

Tim Finley gofinner at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 8 00:50:16 CEST 2007

I'm a newbie to programming and am trying to learn Python.  Maybe I'm wrong,
but I thought a practical way of learning it would be to create a script.  I
want to automate the gathering of mailbox statistics for users in a post
office.  There are two lines containing this information for each user.  I
want to find the two lines for each user and place the information in a
different file.  I can't figure out how to find the information I'm after.
Can you provide me an example or refer me to some place that has it?