[Tutor] IDE / development environment

Martin Walsh mwalsh at groktech.org
Sun Apr 22 18:49:56 CEST 2007

Eike Welk wrote:
> On Sunday 22 April 2007 10:51, Rohan Deshpande wrote:
>> What does everyone use as their development environment for Python,
>> particularly web dev?
>
> I use PyDev an extension for Eclipse:
> http://pydev.sourceforge.net/

+1 for pydev. The additional plugins (wtp, aptana, and subclipse, etc)
make it particularly nice for web development -- however, I agree, it is
a bit heavy.

> It is good at syntax completion but it is quite slow.
> PyDev also lacks an interactive console.

The 'pydev extensions' plugin (which is a $42.50 add on to the open
source pydev) appears to have an interactive console view. I can't say
that I've ever used it -- since you can make your own as an eclipse
external tool. I must admit it is far from a command line replacement,
but it suits my needs. YMMV.

Choose 'External Tools', from the Run >> External Tools menu, while in
the PyDev perspective (or any other where the Run menu is available).
Select 'Program' in the left-hand pane, and click the new configuration
button. Change the Name field to something appropriate
('python-interactive'), and in the location field specify the path to
the python binary (ex. '/usr/bin/python' or 'C:\Python25\python'). I use
'${container_loc}' in the working directory field, and you must specify
at least '-i' in arguments. Click apply to save, and Run to test it out.

If you want to run your module and drop into an interactive interpreter
after, you can do something very similar under the Run >> Run >> Python
Run menu item -- specifying '-i' in the VM arguments field on the
Arguments tab.

HTH,
Marty