[Tutor] looping problem

kumar s ps_python at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 23 18:03:02 CEST 2006

hi,

thank you. this is not a homework question.

I have a very huge file of fasta sequence.

> GeneName xxxxxxxx \t yyyyyyyy
AATTAAGGAAAAAA..........

(1000 lines)
AATAAGGA
>GeneName xxxxxxxx \t yyyyyyyy
GGAGAGAGATTAAGAA
(15000 lines)

when I read this as:

f2= open('myfile','r')
dat = f2.read().split('\n')

turned out to be very expensive deal on computer.

Instead I tried this:

dat = f2.read()

(reading into jumbo file of 19,100,442,1342 lines is
easy but getting into what i want is a problem).

I want to create a dictionary where 'GeneName' as key
and sequence of ATGC characters as value

biglist = dat.split('\t')
['GeneName xxxxxxxx','yyyyyyyy','ATTAAGGCCAA'.......]

Now I want to select ''GeneName xxxxxxxx' into listA
and 'ATTAAGGCCAA' into listB

so I want to select 0,3,6,9 elements into listA
and 2,5,8,11 and so on elements into listB

then I can do dict(zip(listA,listB))

however, the very loops concept is getting blanked out
in my brain when I want to do this:

for j in range(len(biglist)):
        from here .. I cannot think anything..

may be it is just mental block.. thats the reason I
seek help on forum.

Thanks