[Tutor] Filesystem Usage

Steve Nelson sanelson at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 11:39:38 CEST 2006

On 9/22/06, wesley chun <wescpy at gmail.com> wrote:

> this sounds like it will require some work to implement 'df' in
> Python

Mmm... although I have discovered a debian package called pydf whose
source made interesting reading.

> i'd use the one of
> the {os,popen2}.popen*() functions or the subprocess module and
> actually call 'df' but use Python to communicate with it (sending it
> stuff via stdin and receiving output from it [stdout or stderr]).

That sounds fascinating... and something to play with.

In the end I just did:

def fsUsage(dir):
  """Returns the % usage of a given filesystem"""
  stat = os.statvfs(dir)
  from statvfs import F_BLOCKS, F_BFREE
  total = stat[F_BLOCKS]
  avail = stat[F_BFREE]