[Tutor] <> and chomp

Dave Kuhlman dkuhlman at rexx.com
Thu Sep 14 18:43:04 CEST 2006

On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 12:14:27PM -0400, William Allison wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm new to programming and started with Perl but have been reading a lot
> of good things about Python.  Thought I would switch before I have too
> much time invested in Perl.
> Anyway, my question is, is there something in Python similar to the
> diamond operator and chomp from Perl?  I'm trying to read in from a file
> line by line and get rid of the '\n' at the end of each line.
> Thanks,
> Will

Consider:

    infile = open('infilename.txt', 'r')
    for line in infile:
        line = line.rstrip('\n')
    infile.close()

A few notes:

- See http://docs.python.org/lib/built-in-funcs.html for more on
  built-in functions and open() in particular.

- See http://docs.python.org/lib/string-methods.html for more on
  string operations and rstrip() in particular.

- rstrip() with no arguments strips all whitespace on the right.

- A file object (returned by the open() function) is an iterator; it
  obeys the iterator protocol.  That's why you can use it in the
  "for" statement above.

Dave

--
Dave Kuhlman