[Tutor] xml dom

Dave Kuhlman dkuhlman at rexx.com
Wed Sep 6 17:34:22 CEST 2006

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 05:58:58PM +0530, devayani barve wrote:
> hi
> I wanted to know if there was any other source of learning dom
> implementation apart from python library reference?

More than you wanted to know is here:

    http://xml.coverpages.org/dom.html

You may also want to ask your question on the Python XML special
interest group (SIG):
http://www.python.org/community/sigs/current/xml-sig/

And, as has been suggested previously on this list I believe,
ElementTree is considered to be an improved DOM for Python.  See:

    http://effbot.org/zone/element-index.htm

And, lxml is an alternative implementation of the ElementTree API,
but requires installation of libxml.  From the lxml Web page:

    "lxml also extends this API to expose libxml2 and libxslt
    specific functionality, such as XPath, Relax NG, XML Schema,
    XSLT, and c14n.  Python code can be called from XPath
    expressions and XSLT stylesheets through the use of extension
    functions.

    "In addition to the ElementTree API, lxml also features a
    sophisticated API for custom element classes. This is a simple
    way to write arbitrary XML driven APIs on top of lxml.

    "lxml also offers a SAX compliant API, that works with the SAX
    support in the standard library."

Lxml is at:

    http://codespeak.net/lxml/

Dave