[Tutor] making independent program?

Kay White kayrivertree at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 4 17:45:31 CEST 2006

John Fouhy <john at fouhy.net> wrote:  On 29/08/06, Alan Gauld  wrote:
> Thats probably because the most common methods for
> producing an exe file are "non-trivial" to use, especially for
> newbies.
>
> Look up py2exe on Google...

py2exe is not too hard for simple tasks (unless something goes wrong),
especially if you can find someone to throw a sample setup.py at you.
There are people on this list who can help..

--
John.
Tutor maillist  -  Tutor at python.org
Hello again, :-)

  I'm now trying to use py2exe now to create an application out of my  script, and. I have managed to create a simple setup.py that produces a  working application, but the finished product is bloated with many  things I don't want, such as Tkinter.

  I've tried to follow the py2exe wiki instructions on how to trim this  out, http://www.py2exe.org/index.cgi/TkInter, but I seem to be doing  something wrong. Here's my setup.py---

  from distutils.core import setup
  import py2exe

  excludes = ["pywin", "pywin.debugger", "pywin.debugger.dbgcon",
              "pywin.dialogs", "pywin.dialogs.list",
              "Tkconstants","Tkinter","tcl",
               "_imagingtk", "PIL._imagingtk", "ImageTk", "PIL.ImageTk", "FixTk"]

  setup(windows=['ob_portrait.pyw'])

  Can somebody point out what I'm doing wrong? I think I have to put  something in the setup() line, but everything I've tried has caused  errors. This works, but it still creates a dist directory full of stuff  I don't want.