[Tutor] Exception and sys.exit() in a cgi script

Paulino paulino1 at sapo.pt
Sun Oct 22 03:35:13 CEST 2006

> *Mike Hansen*
>     Mike.Hansen at atmel.com
>         <mailto:tutor%40python.org?Subject=%5BTutor%5D%20Exception%20and%20sys.exit%28%29%20in%20a%20cgi%20script&In-Reply-To=>
>
>     /Mon Oct 16 18:43:29 CEST 2006/
> >/ This is a peace of a CGI script i have.
> />/
> />/ 1 import cgi
> />/ 2 form=cgi.FieldStorage()
> />/ 3 try :
> />/ 4     ano=form["ano"].value
> />/ 5     conta=form["conta"].value
> />/ 6 except KeyError :
> />/ 8     sys.exit(0)
> />/
> />/
> />/ When the excption occurs, no message is shown on the browser.
> />/
> />/ If I run the script with IDLE, the message is printed and then the
> />/ script exits.
> />/
> />/ What's wrong here?
> />/
> />/
> />/
> />/ _______________________________________________
> />/ /
> I'm catching up on the weekend's tutor messages.
>
> import cgitb; cgitb.enable()
> That spits errors to the web page which is great for debugging cgi
> scripts.
>
> I think you need
> print "Content-Type: text/html\n\n"
> http://docs.python.org/lib/cgi-intro.html
>
> http://docs.python.org/lib/node560.html
>
> Mike

Thats not the point (sorry).

when all the values are provided in the form (no excetion is raised) it
runs as expected!

The point is when one of the values "ano", "conta" is missing in the
form, I want the error message to be shown on the browser, and the
script to stop running.

When there is an exception, the script actually stops running, but no
message is sent to the browser.